Friday, June 11, 2010

A few of my summertime favorite things...


With school out of session & the first day of summer right around the corner, my mind can't help but wander to summers past. I remember the first time I took my babies to the beach & sunk their little toes into the soft sand. I see my Mom & I sipping homemade sangria under the big umbrella in her back yard & chatting about absolutely nothing. I look back at my younger years & cherish the memories of my best friend & I driving down to the boardwalk after work then sucking down Strawberry Shortcake ice cream in the warm summer twilight. What I am left with are my absolute favorite things about summertime: Friends, Family & any kind of treat with fresh fruit!

So if you are spending this sure to be beautiful weekend with someone you love, here are a few "fruity" recipes from my family archives for you to bestow on them.

BLUEBERRY BUCKLE COFFEE CAKE
Courtesy of my "Aunt" Kathy

Ingredients for Batter: 3/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup softened butter, 1 egg, 1/2 cup milk, 2 cups sifted all purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups blueberries (if using frozen, defrost then pat dry)
Ingredients for Crumb Topping: 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/3 cup sifted all purpose flour, 1/4 softened butter

Directions for Batter: Mix sugar, softened butter & egg until fluffy. Stir in milk. Next, add sifted flour, baking powder & salt to liquid mixture and stir. Toss blueberries in flour, then add to batter. Spread batter in greased & floured 8 or 9 inch square glass pan. Bake at 350 degree's for 45-50 minutes.
Directions for Crumb Topping: Combine ingredients & sprinkle on warm cake after baking has been completed.

*Pairs great with vanilla ice cream!

PEACH BREAD
Courtesy of my good friend, Kristan

Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup oil, 2 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla, 3 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups peaches (if using canned or frozen pat dry once defrosted).

Directions: Dice peaches into small cubes & set aside. Mix sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Next add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to liquid mixtire & stir. Add peaches & stir until peaches are evenly distributed. Bake at 350 degree's in two loaf pans or single 8 inch square glass pan for 35 minutes.

*Pairs great w/ breakfast menu's. May also serve with crumb topping from Blueberry Buckle recipe.

LEMON ICE CREAM
Courtesy of my Mama, the Boopster herself :-)

Ingredients: 1 cup whole milk, 1 cup whipping (heavy) cream, 1/2 tsp vanilla, juice of 1 1/2 lemons, 1 cup sugar, lemon zest or peel to garnish.

Directions: Squeeze the juice from 1 1/2 lemons & mix with , vanilla sugar & milk. Set aside. Whip heavy cream until stiff, then fold into milk mixture. Pour into shallow container to freeze. When partially frozen, stir several times then let rest to continue freezing. Garnish with lemon peel or zest.

I hope that you enjoy these recipes as much as I have! Wishing you all a very blessed weekend filled with wonderful summer memories of fun, family, friends & good food!



No comments:

Post a Comment